Centers for disease control have stated that every year, 1 in 3 adults aged 65 or above faces fall. The risk of falling increases as we age. Falls though do not cause severe injury; they are one of the main reasonsforseveral other injuries like hip fractures or brain injury. Moreover, tripping off frequently should not be ignored, as it can be one of the primary symptoms of major neurological ailments like Motor neuron diseases or Parkinson’s disease.
Most of the aged adults do not tell about their fall to the doctor ortoa member of their family due to the fear of losing independence or the interference of help. Fall is a real danger to older adults. But falls are not an inevitable part of aging, some precautions and a little bit of care could save our older generations from it. And even after facing a fall, careful adaptation may help in healing the aged.
In this regard, the present write up is intended to make our readers aware of the certain fall safety precautions to be implemented; in order to live a safe life.
Precautions to implement fall safety are:
- Remain active:It is advised to remain active and do some regular exercises to maintain the body’s core muscles and leg strength. Regular exercises or yoga whatever seems suitable and is pleasurable should be done. Too much strenuous exercises must be avoided.
- Try to note warning signs: Our body tries to give different warning signs even before the falls. The concerned people might observe their imbalance. People need to take care of these warning signs. Recognizing these warning signs can also be very helpful in ways to prevent fall risks.
- Walking unsteadily- unsteady walking can be observed over uneven surfaces.Even the slightest difference on the surface can cause a fall risk.
- Problems of Vision- a problematic vision, poor eyesight causes it hard to see obstacles and maintain the balance.
- Side effects of medication- some of the drugs can disrupt our stability and balance. These kinds of medicines should be avoided. The best way to prevent fall is to remove risks at home.
- Chronic Diseases- As specified earlier, frequent falls can be a warning sign of many dangerous neurological ailments like Parkinson’s syndrome, Alzheimer’s disease, Motor neuron disorder, etc. These indications are characterized with the weaknesses in the extremities, low grip strengths and issues related to balance and postures; and hence, can increase the risk of falling.
- Environmental issues- The problems in the surroundings like poor lightning, clutters in the washrooms, loose carpets, water leakage, and slippery floors are identified to be responsible for increasing the risk of falls in the elderly population.
For accidental falls, adaption to the situation and seeking immediate medical help can be the best choice for early recovery. Physical therapists could help to identify risks at home for both peace of mind and physical safety. Some of the most risky areas at home and how to overcome them are:
Washrooms- extremely risks prone area, as people have to move in between many varied positions and that too within enclosed spaces. Toilets must be arranged in ways for people with issues of imbalance and fall. Bath chairs, hand-bars should be installed.
Uneven surfaces, floors-It is very important to avoid all the uneven surfaces like rugs, carpets, water leakage in the home, where the elderly population is almost unattended.
Kitchen- kitchens are usually small and people have to do different chores in it. Kitchens should be rearranged in such a way to minimize the risks of fall.
Insufficient or dim or low light-elderly people have vision problems, they areunable to see in low light. Bright light bulbs or more lights should be installed to reduce fall risks.
Stairs-Stairs are the most dreaded of all these areas. A handrail must be provided to increase safety. If possible, the usage of stairs must be avoided.
Managing with other clinical issues– It should be noted that other clinical issues associated with the condition are to managed first. With the advancement in the technology, it is now possible to offer better modules to slow down the progression of these neurodegenerative conditions, which previously were identified to be orphan without any proper treatment in conventional medicine. Modern medicine, like stem cell therapy, can offer better ways to delay the disease progression; and can be thought of!
Thus, it is always better to talk about the difficulties that you are facing currently. Talk to your doctor or family members; let them know so that they can take steps to ease your troubles. Aging could not be stopped, we all age. We cannot overcome each and every difficulty, we are not God but we can at least try to ease our lives. There are many centers that can heal our problems, go for stem cell therapy to regenerate your lost damaged cells and for a wholesome experience. Try it and see changes in yourself.